Skip to main content

Welcome Readers!!

Hey everyone, welcome to the blog!

    My name is Maya Cunningham and I am in my first year of Teachers College at Brock University with teachables in Math and Chemistry. I created this blog to reflect on my EDBE 8F83 course called I/S Teaching Mathematics Part 1 where I am being introduced to the Ontario Intermediate/Senior curriculum in Mathematics. I will be reflecting on what I was presented in class by responding to different questions, ideas and information. This leads into why I chose my title (Maya's Math Blog); to discuss math! I hope that some of the ideas I mention are ones that you all can reflect on and hopefully understand (or at least see where I'm coming from). 

    My overall goal for this course is to develop myself as a future math educator. I believe that although I know lots about math, I don't know a ton about teaching math. I hope that I can learn different strategies and tools in this class that I will be able to implement in my future classroom. As well, I look forward to learning from and growing with my classmates. I love to learn from my peers and am excited to get to know you all better!

    I hope you all are excited for our journey together, I know I am!

See you soon!

Maya <3

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Semester 2 - Blog 4

  Hey everyone, welcome back to the blog! Today, we had our eighteenth class for EDBE 8F83. In this post, I will reflect upon this lesson by using different prompts and supplementing them with images and resources.  What struck you during this session? Something that struck me during this session was how impactful a gallery walk can be as a viewer. When we were completing the problem, we were in a fixed mindset that the long sides of the rectangular prism would always be equal. This was because in a 1x84 cube, they would be the same. Our solution was incorrect, but walking around the room allowed me to see how we went wrong and how I should have approached it. I think it was very beneficial to partake in this when my solution was incorrect. It allowed me to consider different mindsets, critically think about my work and reflect on what I can do differently next time.  What were the dominant emotions evoked (affect)? One emotion that was evoked this week was reflection...

Semester 2 - Blog 1

Hey everyone, welcome back to the blog! A few days ago, we had our first class back for EDBE 8F83. In this post, I will reflect upon this lesson by using different prompts and supplementing them with images and resources.   What struck you during this session? Something that struck me during the session was that we can all view the same solution in very different ways. In the Jo Boaler Ted Talk, she showed a problem where you were given squares and had to describe how you saw the pattern growing. The way I saw the solution was that there is one block being added on top of every block present as well as one on the end. This is similar to a method that she described in her podcast as the raining method. She gave seven different solutions to this problem that she had encountered and I have put the raining method as well as two other examples below for your viewing.  I found it interesting how we can all approach the same problem in different ways but get the same solution. As a f...

Semester 2 - Blog 5

Hey everyone, welcome back to the blog! A few days ago, we had our nineteenth class for EDBE 8F83. In this post, I will reflect upon this lesson by using different prompts and supplementing them with images and resources.  What struck you during this session? Something that struck me during this session was that sometimes you cannot solve problems the way you predicted. When I looked at our problem of the week, I immediately thought you could solve it with ratios; I saw the words “for every” and immediately thought I could do it using ratios. However, I realized that this was not feasible. My group and I used linear equations to find the answer and realized that it was impossible or more difficult than I anticipated it would be. I found it interesting that I was misled like that and that my original way of thinking was not the right way. I think this lets me see that the way you read and interpret the question is important and I will highlight that to my students. What were the d...