Skip to main content

Weekly Blog Post - Week 5

Hey everyone, welcome back to the blog! A few days ago, we had our fifth class for EDBE 8F83. In this post, I will reflect upon this lesson by using different prompts and supplementing them with images and resources. 

What struck you during the session?

Something that struck me during the session was our discussion on the transition from grade 9 to grade 10 and how the jump could be larger for the higher achieving students now as these students are going from destreamed to academic. When I was in high school, I found my worst transition to be the jump from grade 9 to 10 and that was coming from taking academic prior. I think it is important to be aware of this as a future educator as my knowledge in grade 9 will most likely not be what they had. In the future, I will make an effort to make this transition as seamless as possible. 

What were the dominant emotions evoked (affect)?

One dominant emotion I felt was confusion, which then led to a new understanding. Similar to last week, my group and I struggled with the problem we were given to complete (I have attached a photo of the problem below!). We were able to find the areas of the two squares quickly but struggled to find the area of the circle. I was shocked to find out that you used skills in grade 9 to solve this problem. I think this has made me aware that in the next two years of my teacher education, I have to fully understand the curriculum and the key expectations for each grade and subject. I think it is unrealistic to know it back to front at the end of my two years, but I hope I have a good understanding of what is expected of all grades. 

What for you were the main points (cognition)?

The following three points summarize what was discussed in our lesson:

  1. Trigonometry is an area of mathematics that is present in grades 7-12 and progresses as a student matures. 

  2. Grade 10 courses are structured differently than grade 9 as they have academic and applied courses.Each grade 9 student must have a full understanding of the main concepts taught in the course for optimal success in grade 10. 

  3. Many aspects need to be considered when lesson planning. It is important to consider what kind of assessment will be occurring in the lesson (for, as or of), what tools they may need and why you as the educator are conducting the lesson. 

What actions might you want to pursue further (awareness)?

Something I would like to pursue further is investigating Assessment For, Assessment As and Assessment Of Learning. By viewing the charts from the Growing Success document (link to the document and charts are provided below), it is quite clear how they are defined and how they look in a classroom. However, there are no subject-specific resources in this document. I would like to see if I can find some specific examples of these being utilized in a math classroom or potentially create my own. 


That's all from me today! I hope you enjoyed reading my post and I hope you will be here for the next one!


Comments

  1. Nice post! It takes a while to build up a bank of assessment tasks. When you are at practicum be on the hunt for good ones!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Semester 2 - Blog 4

  Hey everyone, welcome back to the blog! Today, we had our eighteenth class for EDBE 8F83. In this post, I will reflect upon this lesson by using different prompts and supplementing them with images and resources.  What struck you during this session? Something that struck me during this session was how impactful a gallery walk can be as a viewer. When we were completing the problem, we were in a fixed mindset that the long sides of the rectangular prism would always be equal. This was because in a 1x84 cube, they would be the same. Our solution was incorrect, but walking around the room allowed me to see how we went wrong and how I should have approached it. I think it was very beneficial to partake in this when my solution was incorrect. It allowed me to consider different mindsets, critically think about my work and reflect on what I can do differently next time.  What were the dominant emotions evoked (affect)? One emotion that was evoked this week was reflection...

Semester 2 - Blog 1

Hey everyone, welcome back to the blog! A few days ago, we had our first class back for EDBE 8F83. In this post, I will reflect upon this lesson by using different prompts and supplementing them with images and resources.   What struck you during this session? Something that struck me during the session was that we can all view the same solution in very different ways. In the Jo Boaler Ted Talk, she showed a problem where you were given squares and had to describe how you saw the pattern growing. The way I saw the solution was that there is one block being added on top of every block present as well as one on the end. This is similar to a method that she described in her podcast as the raining method. She gave seven different solutions to this problem that she had encountered and I have put the raining method as well as two other examples below for your viewing.  I found it interesting how we can all approach the same problem in different ways but get the same solution. As a f...

Semester 2 - Blog 5

Hey everyone, welcome back to the blog! A few days ago, we had our nineteenth class for EDBE 8F83. In this post, I will reflect upon this lesson by using different prompts and supplementing them with images and resources.  What struck you during this session? Something that struck me during this session was that sometimes you cannot solve problems the way you predicted. When I looked at our problem of the week, I immediately thought you could solve it with ratios; I saw the words “for every” and immediately thought I could do it using ratios. However, I realized that this was not feasible. My group and I used linear equations to find the answer and realized that it was impossible or more difficult than I anticipated it would be. I found it interesting that I was misled like that and that my original way of thinking was not the right way. I think this lets me see that the way you read and interpret the question is important and I will highlight that to my students. What were the d...